Home | About Us | Latest News | Speakers and Events | Educational Resources | Patient Stories | Contact Us

PT CORNER - by Lyne Ezenwa P.T.


True or false: Experiencing pain during intercourse is to be expected?

Of course not! Although many female experience some type of pain during intercourse at some point in their life, it should not be considered normal.

Intercourse should be pleasurable and fulfilling for a woman. When pain is experienced, it is difficult to enjoy and focus on the relationship and intimacy it should bring between you and your partner.

Please, first consult with your physicians to identify the underlying cause of your pain. Once the cause is established and treatment options are discussed, consult with your physical therapist to eliminate any musculoskeletal dysfunction that may aggravate your sexual pain. Your therapists will do a thorough evaluation and provide you with great feedback, education and treatment to help reduce your pain. Muscle reeducation through biofeedback is also a great tool.

Here are a few tips to help you get started:

1) Focus in trying to relax your pelvic floor during penetration.

2) Use lubrication that does not contain propylene glycol, which can be an irritant to the vulvar tissue.

3) Using vibration therapy prior to penetration will help relax your muscles. Ask your therapist how to use it.

4) One last thing, communicate with your partner. Do not assume that your partner knows what you are feeling. Outcomes are always greater with their participation.

Remember, pain with intercourse has the potential for improvement! Let us help you!

Lyne Ezenwa P.T.

The Pelvic Health and Physical Therapy Center
7900 Fannin Suite 1200
Houston, TX 77054
Phone:  713-790-0600


Disclaimer Statement:
All information on the P.U.R.E. H.O.P.E. Web site is provided with the understanding that the P.U.R.E. H.O.P.E. does not engage in the practice of medicine.  The members of P.U.R.E. H.O.P.E. cannot and do not give medical advice.  No information on this Web site should be considered medical advice.  Only your personal physician can do this for you.

Logo and Web design by Holly Chervnsik of SuburbanBuzz.com